Tuesday 17 January 2012

Feist - A Commotion - Stephanie Kincaid

I know, I know, I know. I promised more Art 4 Art for 2012 and it's already January 17th. New Year's Resolution FAIL. I've had a few friends badgering me to get more projects online so, in an attempt to stop those nagging voices (you know who you are), I hope to post a couple of A4A projects this week, as well as work on a second project of my own.

This next project is absolutely wonderful and so very different. When Steph first emailed me back in November, my mind was blown. First of all, Steph wasn't a friend or acquaintance who had heard my constant ramblings about this blog and consequently gotten involved; Steph heard about A4A through the grapevine. Secondly, Steph lives in Revelstoke. Mind blown, again. How A4A has left Calgary, let alone Alberta, astounds me. Finally, once Steph and I got to talking about possible projects and her talents as an artist, she told me that she likes to work with duct tape (not going to lie, I was a little worried about this). But still. Mind blown x 3.

Anyway, Steph has taken Feist's track "A Commotion" from her album Metals and created a mixed medium painting, incorporating her magical skills with duct tape. Prepare to have your own mind blown.

* * *
I loved Feist from the moment "Mushaboom" was played through my speakers. To this day I still get butterflies when it comes on. Naturally, when I stumbled across Art 4 Art, Feist was a definite go to. Her new album Metals is everything she is. Amazing. 

Leslie's voice has been one of those things I've always gone back to over the years. If I need a mellow moment I can find bliss within her lyrics and rhythms. She so easily brings me back to zero. To be honest, I could probably pick any number of songs off that album and say they inspired me to do this project, but "A Commotion" was the song playing when this idea had come into my head. 

The sense of urgency in the chorus pushed my idea out and onto paper. All I could see was a rose bush and it needed to be dark. Yet balanced. Once I actually started this painting it went in a much more abstract direction then intended, but I loved it more. From there I decided to use my duct tape skills and instead of actually painting the roses, which I'm not sure I would have been good enough to do, I crafted them. I chose the white tape as apposed to other colours in my artillery for the subtle contrast against the twilight purple. Just enough to keep the roses strong, yet feminine.

* * *

* * *










Stephanie Kincaid has grown up in the small town of Revelstoke B.C. She lives in a small, not so sound proof apartment, with her boyfriend and three snakes. Working as a grocery store bakery slave, you can usually find her slinging dough and flexing muscles. Unfortunately for everyone else, she's got a sick sense of humour and loves expressing herself artistically. Painting, assorted crafts and film are her usual go to cures for boredom, however, duct tape has been her favourite go to medium for the past 10 years. Check out Steph's lomography here and follow her blog that she says is updated less than regularly. See the contributor's page for more info. 


No comments:

Post a Comment