Saturday 26 November 2011

The Dudes - Love is Dangerous - Dominique Ma

When Dominique first approached me about a poem she had written inspired by Calgary's pride and joy The Dudes, I was excited. When Dominique first told me she had used "Love is Dangerous" as her song of choice, I was thrilled. The Dudes are Calgary's most loved band. They are the veteran rock 'n' rollers of Calgary, AB. They are the city's heart and soul. The combination of Danny Vacon's dreamy voice matched with honest lyrics and a rock anthem (courtesy of Bob and Scott) could persuade anyone to do almost anything.

Dominique was hesitant about her poem: "it's going to make me sound like a terrible person." But that's what makes this an incredible contribution to Art for Art and I forced her to let me use it (I'm so so sorry Dom!). I read Dom's poem. I listened to "Love is Dangerous". And then I read and listened simultaneously. Dom's poem "My Fickle Heart" is a companion piece. The wonderful thing about writing is that if you're good, you can take on a voice entirely different to you own and surprise us all (trust me when I say, Dominique is a lovely person and not the playa you're about to encounter). Dom takes on Dan's attitude and gives it to you straight. I love it! Here's what Dom has to say:

In The Dudes' song "Love is Dangerous," I find it interesting that one can be so absorbed in another person, but can then "fall right out of love, just like that!" The 'love' that Danny Vacon claims as dangerous isn't actually love, rather it's obsession or a desire for another's attention. I wrote this poem to illustrate that if one has invested in this type of immature, obsessive "love", then the love they think they feel does become dangerous.

"Love is Dangerous" by Calgary's own The Dudes:


Dominique is a psychology student at the University of Calgary. She is music crazy, being a member in two bands and plays piano, violin and guitar while also possessing a stellar voice. She's constantly laughing and making others do the same. She loves her family, her friends and isn't embarrassed to say she sings cheesy pop songs (occasionally). She is not a playa. Here is "My Fickle Heart":

Passion awakens
The urge devours me
I'm left powerless.
A mind enveloped
Indecisive thoughts
The world must know
I search for counsel
Formulate plans.

I crave resolution
But expect none
To catch his eye,
and become the pursued.

My heart throbs
It won't be refused.
Awkward freezes
Modest successes
Smiles, blushes
Dress to impress
All is Vanity
Lay on the charm.

Act relaxed
Welcome distractions
I've lost all focus.
Search for signs
Lack of sleep
Emotions untamed
I pray for help
and hope till it hurts.

Then unexpected
My hopes actualize
I catch his eye, 
I become the pursued.


Without explanation
I wake up one day
Entirely indifferent,
And filled with guilt.
But look, a new fancy
To enslave me
Another victim
Of my fickle Heart.


* * *
For more on Dominique Ma, check out the contributors page.
For more on The Dudes, check out their myspace. I highly recommend seeing them live!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment