Wednesday 7 December 2011

Do Make Say Think - Do - Tristan Taylor

I'm not going to lie, when I first met Tristan less than a month ago I had no doubts about his creative talents and I wanted him on my side. I did some Art 4 Art recruiting. Call me selfish for taking advantage of nice people, but honestly if I hadn't asked him, with some urgency, to contribute a project to A4A you wouldn't be about to see what you're about to see. I knew that no matter what project Tristan decided on, it would be awesome. And it was. Well, it is.

So without further ado here's Tristan...

***

As a music enthusiast, I am always on the lookout for new and exciting music. It is always a great pleasure of mine to discover a new sound that influences me to become creative. I found this in the Canadian group Do Make Say Think. This instrumental post-rock group formed in 1995 and have since put out 7 releases, including two EPs and five LPs. The first song from their most recent release Other Truths (2009) entitled "Do" emerges from the simplicity of a revolving chord progression and erupts in a catharsis rich in emotion, ranging from cool calm to sporadic gaiety. This particular piece, I find, tells the story of friends playing and acting foolishly and is encompassed by the beginning of the song which is reminiscent of a perfect morning, and ends in the calm brought upon by a beautiful sunset and calm night air. The lighthearted and upbeat tempo sets the pace for a summer day in which one might expect to play in the park, enjoy the heat, and revel in the company of those dearest to them. You can say that this is contrived, but I call it serendipitous, for it just so happens that I have experienced a day in recent history whilst listening to this song. I was able to chronicle the day's events using my personal favourite art form, LOMOGRAPHY!

For those of you who were unaware of the existence of such an absurd "thing," Lomography is a photography company that is based in Vienna that was started by art students who liked to experiment with film.

My project is based in the simplicity of photography and revolves around the complexity of the song. The phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words," often gets thrown around a lot, so instead of explaining every photo in this short photo-essay, I suggest you listen to the song, take a gander at these photos and try to experience the same joy and contentment I had one summer day not so long ago. Follow along with the song, and listen for the central guitar riff. I hope it makes you as happy as it makes me.

Enjoy.










***
Tristan Taylor calls himself a renaissance man. As well as being a full-time student, Tristan is a photographer, a Lomography expert, musician and writer. He is the founder of Calgary Lomography and I encourage you to check out his music here. For more on Tristan, visit the contributors page

Hear more from Do Make Say Think at their website

No comments:

Post a Comment